The USS Potemkin is a Star Trek IRC chat sim operated by the Starfleet Legacy Alliance (SLA). As a direct descendant of the United Space Federation (USF) simulation of the same name, the Potemkin has been in continuous operation for nineteen years.
In 2000, the Potemkin, along with Outpost Cousteau and Starfleet Academy left the USF to form the Starfleet Legacy Alliance. The Potemkin's commanding officer at the time, Captain Christiaan Back, became the leader of the SLA. Because of the association of the Potemkin with the Council Moderator, the sim is often referred to as the flagship of the SLA. Following the formation of the Starfleet Legacy Alliance, Captain Back remained in command of the USS Potemkin through the end of 2001. He was forced to leave the sim due to scheduling issues and transferred the sim to Captain James "Warp" Mitchell, a long-time crewmember. Commander Garrett Brighton, first officer under Back, remained XO for around a year before being succeeded by Commander Prax Jarvin in 2003. In 2010, now-Captain Prax stepped stepped down, and Commander Bom Mobom assumed the role of XO, stepping down in early 2013.
In February 2005, the Potemkin transitioned from AOL/AIM chatroom simming to an IRC format. Following the departure of the USS Pegasus from the SLA, it became the SLA's only IRC simulation. The sim continues to operate on IRC under the command of Captain Warp, on Thursdays nights at 10 pm EST.
The Potemkin still uses the Akira-class starship launched by Captain Sierra M'Hawarr Keui'Shen during the USF years. Currently, the sim takes place in the year 2388, a year after the destruction of Romulus as detailed in the 2009 Star Trek feature film.
It holds the distinction of being the SLA's only founding simulation to remain in continuous operation without a hiatus or relaunch. As of 2013, Warp and Prax remain the longest serving Commanding Officer, Executive Officer and host team in the Potemkin's nineteen years. It is unofficially referred to as the flagship of the SLA.
- Captain Christiaan Back (USF: -2000, SLA: 2000-2001)
- Captain/Fleet Captain/Admiral James B. "Warp" Mitchell (2002–Present)
- Commander Garrett Brighton (USF: - 2000, SLA: 2000-2002)
- Commander/Captain Prax Jarvin (2003-2010)
- Commander/Captain Bom Mobom (2010-2013)
- Doctor/Commander Tom Arnet (2013-Present)
- Commander Thomas Arnet, Chief Medical Officer
- Commander Allayah Arkin, Chief Science Officer
SLA Council Members
The Potemkin has been the home of many members of the SLA's council over its years of service. Four of the five SLA Council Leaders served aboard the Potemkin. (Seth, Warp, Tavey and Krissin)
- The Star Trek young adult novel Starfleet Academy: The Assassination Game by Alan Gratz is dedicated to the crew of the Potemkin simulation.
- In further reference to the simulation group, several characters in The Assassination Game are named after Potemkin characters. (Captains Mitchell & Prax, Doctor Tom Arnet, Lieutenant Nguyen, Yeoman Phozic and Bom all appear in various cameos.)